Repackaging for the Planet
As a responsible supplier, it is paramount that VIAVI continues to scrutinize everything we do and identify areas to make sustainability improvements. It is incumbent on businesses and individuals alike to ensure we mitigate our impact on our planet.
VIAVI is acting every day to try and ensure we are doing right by the Earth. One such example is the packaging initiative that is underway with the goal of ensuring that we are reusing as much as we can and recycling anything that can’t be reused. Reusable packaging is always the preference, so it is vital to continuously look at processes and materials throughout the supply chain, make improvements and strive to ensure that we are efficient and sustainable. Although VIAVI is already compliant with global packaging regulations, we believe there is still more that we can do to minimize our impact on the environment. We have eight focus areas that are working on today:
- Design for recovery
- Material efficiency
- Design for product waste reduction
- Elimination of hazardous materials
- Use of recycled materials
- Use of renewable materials
- Design for transport efficiency
- Provision of sustainability information for our customers so they can calculate their carbon impact accurately
We have made great strides in the last few years through our program of continuous packaging improvement. Here are some highlights.
- VIAVI is a member of the Australian Packaging Covenant Organisation and we have adopted many of their guidelines to help us on this road to even greater renewable, recycling and sustainable results.
- We are beginning to track how much packaging of varying types we use by weight each year and we’re investigating how more of these materials could be made from renewable or recycled sources, be reused, or be recycled.
- We are working closely with our contract and in-house manufacturing facilities around the world to find even small opportunities to improve our sustainability and we will develop action plans in place to realize the opportunities that we’ve identified together.
The latest leap we’ve made is coming to fruition now. We are proud to be offering a scheme to collect all our packaging from any of our customers, anywhere in the world. All our customer has to do is let us know that the packaging is ready for collection, and we’ll do the rest. Our aim is to ensure that the materials collected can be recycled, reused or disposed of in an environmentally responsible manner. This scheme is in addition to the collection, recycling and disposal of end-of-life electronic equipment that we already undertake across Europe.
Earth Day is on 22nd April 2022 and is an opportunity for both businesses and individuals to act (boldly), innovate (broadly), and implement (equitably). Think about how you can get involved and #InvestInOurPlanet.