Viavi Solutions and STL Research have released a new report that projects a major opportunity for mobile operators to integrate Location Insight Services
This report written by STL Research focuses on what has been defined as Location Insight Services. The report argues that operators should first seek to offer Location Insight Services before evolving to cover Location Based Services. This strategic approach allows operators to better understand their data and to build location services for enterprise customers rather than starting with consumer-orientated location services that require additional capabilities. This approach provides the most upside with the least associated risk, offering the potential for incremental learning.
This is really about how operators can monetize their network and their data.
When considering how to develop and monetize their location assets, STL recommends that operators select to start with LIS. Whilst many operators are already engaged in LBS (e.g. enabling push-marketing) the majority are not actually providing the service but are simply sharing data and enabling a 3rd party service provider.
Starting with LIS has a number of strategic advantages:
- It’s a big opportunity in its own right
- Telcos (should) have a data capture/technology advantage for LIS over OTT players
- LIS provides an opportunity to build & learn incrementally, proving value
- Privacy risks are reduced (particularly with aggregated data)
- LIS does not require 100% coverage of the population, unlike a number of LBS use cases
- LIS can provide internal benefits and can bolster the Go-to-Market strategy for vertical specific offerings
What Viavi Solutions offers
- Viavi Solutions’ ariesoGEO solution is designed to help operators capture the value of Location Insight Services.
- It locates, stores, and analyzes data from billions of mobile connection events, giving operators a rich source of intelligence to help boost network performance and enrich the user experience.
- This intelligence transforms the effectiveness of network performance engineering; enables customer-centric self-optimizing networks; creates true understanding of customer experience; and enables monetization of unique insights.
Click here to download a complimentary copy of the report.